? ??????????????Green Fairy? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.8 (25 Ratings)??293 Grabs Today. 12317 Total Grabs. ???
???Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Green Future (New)? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.3 (19 Ratings)??276 Grabs Today. 7963 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????Weed BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Welcome to America

Florence has arrived! Poor girl, when we met her at the airport she looked terrified. Of course I hugged her right away because that is what I do without thinking and then I realized I probably shouldn't have done that. Oh well. Welcome to America!
 She was quite nervous, understandably. But I am so impressed with her. She seemed very reserved but has since loosened up. Florence speaks English very well. As the days go by more and more without a strong French accent. Within 24 hours she was off to a birthday party with Katie at her friend Reid's house.
They went to the mall to have Reid's nose pierced, shopped then went to Reid's for a BBQ and Birthday Cake!
She fits right in here. When I apologize for Katie and her friends being so goofy and loud  she says "This is how I act with my friends too". Good to know.
Each day we learn a little bit more about Belgium and Florence and her family. She has very strong family ties.

Florence, Reid, Katie, Stephanie

Doors of the State Capitol Olympia
We have played tourist as much as we can with Katies cheer schedule. We have visited the Capitol. (not very impressed, I think because when we say that it is 100 years old that is nothing compared to the buildings in Belgium that are centuries old). 
We did a picnic at Burfoot Park
Trail to the Sound at Burfoot Park


Dip into Puget Sound



Mike and Katie on the sound.at Harstine Island.  Katie skiied for quite some time.
Florence attempt at skiing. What a trooper!

We spent the weekend at Mikes Dads place and had a great time in the sun. My friend came for a day with her 3 kids. They were quite loud and Florence got very quiet. Hmmmm...

We have been to the mall at least five occasions. Signed her up for a library card and registered for school. 
I have watched more Real Housewives of Jersey Shore than I have ever wanted too. Florence loves the E channel and is shocked that we do not have MTV. I wish we didn't have E! She has spent hours on the computer IMing her friends on Facebook. 



Yesterday we  signed Florence  up for her classes. Took her for a thorough tour of the school. She is very nervous about starting. She has no classes with Katie and so far not with Katies friends either. She feels strange going back to High School after just graduating. There will be a lot of adjusting for her but she is a teenager and their is the common language. She will have no problem making friends I am sure. She is not interested in after school activities which brings certain issues for myself and transportation. We have no public transit to our house and do I let her ride with other kids I do not know!!!!!! I am a very protective mama bear. We will cross that bridge when we get there.Tomorrow is the first football game and I get the feeling she is not very interested. I hope she has a good time. 

So there you have it. Pretty well up to date. Florence comes from a very upscale family with housekeeper and gardener. She has done her own laundry and cleaned the bathroom without complaint so far so good. I think she is adjusting well. As well as we are too. It feels like she has been here longer than 2 weeks. I am sure she will be leaving all too soon. 
To Be Continued...



2 Comments:

Princess said...

Florence looks adorable and I am sure it will just take time to adjust although the transportation does sound like an issue. I am sure there is SOMEONE you can trust at Katie's school to bring her home, lol. Your making me feel blog guilty. I could always say since you didn't blog, I didn't need to either but now....

Sephalo said...

Florence is the luckiest girl ever to get to stay with you guys!!

I love and miss you